Home Archive 03/January/2016 03:31 PM

Israeli Settlers Attack Taxi Driver, Shut Down Main Road near Jenin

JENIN, December 31, 2015 (WAFA) – Israeli settlers from the illegal settlement 'Mabo Dothan' built on the land of Yabad southwest of Jenin Thursday assaulted a Palestinian taxi driver and hurled stones at Palestinians' vehicles.

Mohammad Mahmoud from the village of Tura told WAFA a number of Israeli settlers attacked and beat him up after closing down the main military gate at Yabad’s entrance.

He said the Israeli army closed the gate and prevented cars from passing through while settlers hurled stones at the vehicles.

Mahmoud added, settlers’ attacks where coupled with curses and racist phrases against Arabs.

The settlers closed down the main road leading to Yabad from the western side and hid between olive trees.

Violence by illegal settlers is commonplace. They repeatedly attack Palestinian property and worship places.

According to B’Tselem, an Israeli human rights organization, “Israeli civilians have perpetrated various forms of violence against Palestinians in the Occupied Territories, damaging their lands, their persons and their property.”

It explained, “In recent years, settlers have carried out violent acts under the slogan “price tag.” These are acts of violence aimed at the Palestinian population and Israeli security forces.”

B'Tselem has documented many such acts including the blocking of roads, throwing stones at cars and houses, making incursions into Palestinian villages and land, torching fields, uprooting trees, and other damage to property.

Settlers' violence includes property and mosque arsons, stone-throwing, uprooting of crops and olive trees, attacks on vulnerable homes, among others.

On July 31, a group of settlers killed 18-month-old Palestinian toddler Ali Dawabsheh and seriously injured his entire family, during a predawn arson attack, which targeted two homes in the village of Duma, south of Nablus.

The baby’s father, Sa’ad Dawabsheh, his mother Riham and his 4-year-old brother Ahmad sustained third degree burns and were transferred to several hospitals to receive immediate medical care.

Reham and Sa’ad died within two months while Ahmad remains in hospital to receive urgent treatment.


Related News

Read More