QALQILIA, Friday, December 18, 2020 (WAFA) - Dozens of Palestinians suffocated today in the Israeli army crackdown on the weekly anti-settlements protest in the northern West Bank village of Kufr Qaddoum, according to local sources.
Sources said Israeli army soldiers suppressed the weekly peaceful protest, attacking demonstrators who also rallied to protest Israel’s closure of the main road that connects the village of Kufr Qaddoum with the city of Nablus since 2003.
Forces fired tear gas canisters and stun grenades toward protesters and homes, causing dozens to suffocate due to tear gas inhalation.
Protesters managed to shoot down an Israeli drone dropping tear gas canisters over Palestinian protesters.
“Before 2003, the residents of Kufr Qaddum would use a shorter road to the east in order to come and go to nearby cities and villages. However, as the settlements expanded so that they overwhelmed the road, it became closed for Palestinian use, said Addameer Human rights Association.
The only alternative road is roughly six times longer than the previous route, disrupting the villagers’ ability to attend university, their jobs, and other vital aspects of their economic and social well being, noted Addameer.
Although Kufr Qaddum’s Popular Resistance Committee took their case to the Israeli High Court in 2003, the legal status of the road remains unchanged, stressed Addameer.
After all legal appeals failed, villagers decided to organize weekly demonstrations in July 2011, a step that was met with violent suppression by Israeli forces.
- Weather: Hot with temperature remaining 4°C above the seasonal average
- Newspapers Review: The Israeli army crackdown on West Bank protests, Fatah meeting highlight of dailies
- Jordan warns against Israeli escalation in the occupied Palestinian territories
- Israeli occupation forces have killed or caused the death of 11 Palestinians since mid-September – UN report
- Thirty Palestinian administrative detainees in Israel on their second week of hunger strike demanding freedom
- WAFA documents 26 Israeli violations against Palestinian journalists and media in September
- In West Bank, soldiers raid, seize money, clash with residents, make arrests, and in Gaza attack fishermen
- Detainees Affairs Commission: 283 Palestinian freedom fighters are in Israeli jails for more than 20 years
- Israeli occupation forces block al-Tuwani village in Masafer Yatta to activists, fire tear gas at homes