TEL AVIV, Friday, March 3, 2023 (WAFA) – Israeli occupation authorities released last night most of the terrorist Israeli settlers who had been arrested against the backdrop of the pogrom they carried out on Sunday night in the Palestinian town of Huwwara, south of Nablus.
Media sources said the settlers were released based on a court ruling which claimed there were no enough evidence to convict the settlers, despite the availability of tens of videos documenting the terrorist attack on the village, which resulted in the killing of a Palestinian aid worker, the injury of many others and the torching of hundreds of homes and vehicles.
Besides the killing of a humanitarian worker, the settlers completely burnt down at least 35 homes and 40 others were partially damaged, and many of the buildings were set on fire while their Palestinian inhabitants sheltered inside. More than 100 cars were burnt or otherwise destroyed.
Israeli media outlets had reported on Tuesday that only eight settlers were arrested following the pogrom, and that man of them had all been released.
The Israeli court’s ruling also comes amid racist remarks by hardcore Israeli Minister of Finance Bezalel Smotrich who said the Palestinian village of Huwwara should be “wiped out”.
“I think the village of Huwwara needs to be wiped out. I think the state of Israel should do it,” Smotrich, who also handles civil administration in the occupied West Bank, was quoted as saying by Israeli media on Wednesday.
Smotrich’s remarks have been met with condemnations from the US, the EU and many countries around the world as inciting to violence and terrorism.