JEDDAH, Wednesday, June 10, 2020 (WAFA) – The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) warned today against the dangerous intention of Israel, the occupying power, to annex parts of the occupied Palestinian territory, and considers the Israeli threat to annex parts of the occupied West Bank an official declaration by Israel of revocation of all its signed agreements a termination of the negotiated solution.
A resolution issued at the end of an open-ended virtual extraordinary meeting of the OIC Executive Committee at the level of foreign ministers on the threats of the Israeli occupation government to annex parts of state of Palestine’s territory occupied in 1967, OIC held the Israeli occupation government fully responsible for the consequences of its colonial policies and measures on the occupied territory of the State of Palestine, including the outcome of its dangerous announcement to annex parts of the State of Palestine’s occupied territory.
It emphasized the right of the State of Palestine to sovereignty over all Palestinian territory occupied since 1967.
The OIC called on the OIC Member States to take the necessary political, legal and economic measures to address the Israeli threat to annex any part of the occupied Palestinian territory as well as to take deterrent measures against states, officials, parliamentarians and individuals associated with supporting the Israeli colonial regime and violating international law and UN resolution related to the question of Palestine.
Following is the text of the resolution:
Open-Ended Virtual Extraordinary Meeting
of the OIC Executive Committee at the Level of Foreign Ministers
on the Threats of the Israeli Occupation Government
to Annex Parts of State of Palestine’s territory Occupied in 1967
Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
( 18 Shawwal 1441H)
Corresponding to 10th June 2020
The OIC Executive Committee, convening at an open-ended virtual extraordinary meeting at the level of foreign ministers, at the request of the State of Palestine, about the threats of the Israeli occupation government to annex parts of the Palestinian territory occupied since in 1967; on 18 Shawwal 1441 H corresponding to 10th June 2020.
- Asserting the principles and objectives of the OIC Charter,
- Proceeding from the resolutions of the successive OIC Islamic Summits and Councils of Foreign Ministers on the issue of Palestine and al-Quds al-Sharif,
- Complying with the historical, moral and legal responsibility incumbent on the Muslim Ummah, and acting in the spirit of full solidarity with Palestine and its people,
- Guided by the purposes and principles of the UN Charter, mainly the principle of the inadmissibility of acquisition of territory of others by force,
- Recalling the relevant UN resolutions, as well as the ICJ advisory opinion (9 July 2004) on the legal consequences of the construction of a wall in the occupied Palestinian territory,
- Renewing the principled support for the Palestinian people and the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), the sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people, in the pursuit of their inalienable national rights, including the right to self-determination and independence within a Palestinian state of their own on the 4 June 1967 borders, with al-Quds al-Sharif as its capital, and the refugees right to return and compensation in accordance with UN resolution 194,
- Condemning the Israeli occupation authority’s colonial policies, practices and plans in the occupied Palestinian territory, and all attempts to change the demographic composition, character and status of the Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, including Al-Quds Al-Sharif, such as, inter alia, settlement construction and expansion, transfer of Israeli citizens to the Occupied Palestinian Territory, land confiscation and annexation, and forced displacement of Palestinian citizens in violation of international humanitarian law and relevant resolutions, considering these acts as crimes endangering international peace and security that undermine stability in the Middle East region and in the world at large,
- Welcoming the stated positions of the UN Secretary General and all countries, explicitly rejecting the Israeli government’s threat to annex parts of the Palestinian land occupied in 1967,
Decides the following:
1. Reaffirms the centrality of the Cause of Palestine and Al-Quds Al-Sharif to the entire Muslim Ummah.
2. Warns against the dangerous intention of Israel, the occupying power, to annex parts of the occupied Palestinian territory, and considers the Israeli threat to annex parts of the occupied West Bank, including the Jordan Valley, North of the Dead Sea and the land on which colonial settlements and the apartheid Wall were built, an official declaration by Israel of revocation of all its signed agreements a termination of the negotiated solution, a serious escalation of its colonial policies and measures, a flagrant aggression on the historical, legal and political rights of the Palestinian people, and a blatant violation of the principles and standards of international law, the UN Charter and relevant UN resolutions.
3. Holds the Israeli occupation government fully responsible for the consequences of its colonial policies and measures on the occupied territory of the State of Palestine, including the outcome of its dangerous announcement to annex parts of the State of Palestine’s occupied territory, deliberately seeking to undermine the international efforts to establish a just, lasting and comprehensive peace on the basis of the two-state formula, and aiming at undermining the foundations of peace, engulfing the entire region into further violence and instability, which will have serious consequences that jeopardize the stability and security of the whole world.
4. Decides to address strongly the dangerously aggressive threats of Israel, the occupying power, while taking all the possible political, legal and diplomatic actions and measures, including through initiating actions with the UN Security Council, the General Assembly, the UNHRC, international courts, and other international organizations and bodies, to counter and isolate Israel’s expansionist colonial regime, and condemns in this regard any party that supports and associates with these hostile steps in any way or form.
5. Emphasizes the right of the State of Palestine to sovereignty over all Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem, maritime space, territorial waters, and its borders with neighboring countries, and reaffirms that attempts by the Israeli occupation to annex any part of the occupied Palestinian territory, including Al-Quds Al-Sharif, as well as all administrative measures and procedures to illegally alter the character and status of the occupied territory of the State of Palestine are null and void, have no legal effect, and shall be countered at all levels.
6. Underlines the historical and legal responsibility of the United Nations with regard to the question of Palestine until it is resolved in all its aspects, while calling on the UN Security Council to uphold its legal responsibility with view to enabling the Palestinian people to regain their inalienable rights. It also urges the UN Security Council not to accept or recognize any change to the pre-1967 borders, including with regards to Al-Quds Al-Sharif, and to take the necessary measures to prevent these annexation plans, by compelling the Israeli occupation to stop all its illegal actions, live up fully to its responsibilities under the Fourth Geneva Convention and the ICJ Advisory Opinion of 2004, and implement relevant UN resolutions, including Security Council resolution 2334 (2016).
7. Calls on the international community to take steps against the Israeli occupation and its colonial practices that jeopardize the fundamentals of the rule-based international order, not to recognize the illegal status of Israeli settlement on the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem, or help to sustain it in any way , as well as take all the necessary legal countermeasures that include refraining from dealings with any Israeli government that endorses its annexation agenda, imposing economic and political sanctions on Israel, boycotting the Israeli colonial system, illegal Israeli settlements and their products, in addition to ensuring accountability measures, with a view to ending the Israeli colonial occupation and realizing national independence of the State of Palestine based on 1967 borders, with Al-Quds al-Sharif as its capital.
8. Declares its support for the Palestinian leadership’s decisions of 19 May 2020, while reiterating that peace and security in the Middle East, as a strategic option, cannot be achieved without ending Israel’s illegal, colonial occupation of the State of Palestine, including Al-Quds Al-Sharif and the Arab territories occupied since June 1967; and calls on the international community to make every effort necessary to end this illegal occupation, and to help the Palestinian people achieve their inalienable rights and fulfill their legitimate national aspirations, including exercising their right to self-determination, realizing sovereignty and independence of the State of Palestine, with Al-Quds Al-Sharif as its capital, and reaching a just solution to the question of Palestinian refugees in compliance with the principles of international law, relevant UN resolutions and the Arab Peace Initiative, which was adopted by the Extraordinary Islamic Summit of Mecca (2005).
9. Reiterates its rejection of any proposal not respecting the Palestinian people’s right to independence, freedom and sovereignty over the territory of the State of Palestine, occupied since 1967, including the current US administration’s plan, while supporting the Palestinian efforts to gain wider international statehood recognition based on the 4 June 1967 borders; and calls on all states that have not yet recognized the State of Palestine to do so as soon as possible.
10. Reiterates its support for the initiative presented by the Palestinian President to the Security Council in February 2018, while expressing in this regard its determination to continue working with the international community to launch a credible, time-bound multilaterally-sponsored political process to resolve the Palestinian cause on the basis of international law, international legitimacy and agreed terms of reference, including the Arab Peace Initiative adopted at the 2005 Islamic Summit, and the vision of the two-state solution based on the 4 June 1967 borders.
11. Calls on the International Quartet to convene an urgent meeting to save the chances of peace and the two-state solution, adopt an international position consistent with the UN resolutions and the agreed-on terms of reference of the peace process, including the road map and the Arab Peace Initiative, as well compel the Israeli occupation government to halt implementing its colonial plans, including settlement annexation and expansion, and to end its occupation of the Palestinian territory.
12. Calls on the OIC Member States to:
a. Take the necessary political, legal and economic measures to address the Israeli threat to annex any part of the occupied Palestinian territory, as stipulated in this resolution.
b. Take deterrent measures against states, officials, parliamentarians and individuals associated with supporting the Israeli colonial regime and violating international law and UN resolution related to the question of Palestine.
c. Condemn any attempts, statements or positions issued by any party aimed at supporting the Israeli colonial annexation of any parts of the territory of the State of Palestine occupied in 1967.
d. Provide all forms of political, legal, technical and material support necessary for the success of the political and legal endeavors and steps taken by the State of Palestine within the relevant international bodies, to hold Israel, the occupying power, accountable for its crimes against the Palestinian people.
e. Accelerate the banning of companies on the database issued by UNHRC having corporate ties with Israel’s settlements in the occupied Palestinian territory.
f. Implement previous resolutions of Islamic Summit and ministerial meetings related to the cause of Palestine and Al-Quds Al-Sharif, including voting in favor of resolutions related to the Palestinian issue in international fora.
g. Provide material and economic support to the Palestinian people to face the financial blockade imposed by Israel, the occupying power, and its allies, against the Palestinian people and the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA).
13. Mandates the Islamic Group in New York to conduct broad consultations and take the necessary measures to counter the Israeli annexation and colonial expansion plans, while commissioning the group of ambassadors of member states to take initiatives to bring the contents of the present resolution to the attention of capitals, governments, parliaments, international and regional organizations around the world, to urge them to take practical measures to deter the Israeli occupation government from carrying out its illegal actions.
14. Calls on all states to pressure the Israeli occupation authorities to ensure the release of Palestinian prisoners, especially the sick, the elderly, children and women, to protect them from the risk of COVID-19 infection, while holding the Israeli occupation authorities fully responsible for any consequences to the health of the Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails.
15. Mandates the Secretary General to follow up on the implementation of the provisions of this resolution and submit a progress report on its implementation to the upcoming meeting of the Council of Foreign Ministers.