JENIN, Thursday, January 19, 2023 (WAFA) – Israeli occupation forces this morning killed two Palestinians in the northern West Bank city of Jenin, one of them 57 years of age, bringing the total number of Palestinians killed by Israeli army gunfire since the start of the year to 17.
The Ministry of Health said Jawad Farid Bawaqta, 57, a high school teacher and a father of six children, was shot in the chest, and Adham Mohammad Jabarin, 28, was shot at the higher part of the belly. Both were from Jenin refugee camp.
Sources in Jenin said a large Israeli force raided Jenin refugee camp to arrest activists and deployed snipers on rooftops during which heavy exchange of gunfire was reported.
Witnesses said Bawaqta was shot by a sniper outside his home in the middle of the camp while he was providing first aid to Jabarin after he was shot.
The soldiers prevented Palestinian ambulances from reaching the injured forcing residents to transport them to hospital in Jenin in their private cars. Both were pronounced dead shortly after arriving at hospital.
Three others were injured by live bullets in the camp and four were detained, including two siblings.
A general strike was declared in Jenin in mourning of the dead, who reached nine in the Jenin governorate out of a total of 17 killed to date by Israeli army gunfire since the start of this year.
Last year, Israel killed 224 Palestinians in the occupied territories, including 59 in the Gaza Strip.