HEBRON, Monday, January 17, 2022 (WAFA) – A 75-year-old anti-occupation activist today succumbed to wounds sustained in a deliberate run-over accident by Israeli police earlier this month, according to the Ministry of Health.
The Ministry said Suleiman Hathalin died of his critical wounds he sustained after being deliberately run over by an Israeli police vehicle at the entrance to Umm Al-Khair village in Masafer Yatta, south of Hebron, about two weeks ago.
Hathalin sustained critical injuries in the head, chest, stomach and hips. He was rushed to a hospital in Hebron until he succumbed to his wounds today.
Breaking the Silence, the Israeli NGO dedicated to making public the atrocities performed by Israeli military authorities in the occupied territories, said that Hathalin was run over by an Israeli police-commissioned tow truck, which was in the middle of confiscating Palestinian cars in the village.
“After running over Haj Suleiman, the truck immediately left, without calling an ambulance. Hit and run, courtesy of Israel Police. That's what happens when Palestinian life has virtually no value in the eyes of the occupier,” it added.
“This isn't the first time the Israeli authorities have left a Palestinian severely injured in their quest to confiscate Palestinian property, all in order to enforce the occupation. Only last year Harun Abu Aram was shot in the neck when soldiers came to confiscate a generator, also in the South Hebron Hills. Abu Aram remains paralyzed to this day.”
“While Israeli settlers are demanding of the government to recognize an illegally built settlement, Homesh, on private Palestinian land, meanwhile some of the most vulnerable Palestinians in the occupied territories aren't even allowed to lead normal lives on their own land.”
“Um al-Kheir, where last week's incident took place, is the site of constant Israeli demolition and confiscation operations, while the neighboring settlement of Carmel continues to expand on the Palestinian village's land.”