Home Occupation 14/June/2021 06:39 PM

Official warns against Israeli demolition of 17 homes in Silwan by end of next month

JERUSALEM, Monday, June 14, 2021 (WAFA) - Fakhri Abu Diab, member of the Defense of Silwan Land Committee, warned that 17 homes belonging to Palestinian families in the al-Bustan neighborhood of Silwan, south of occupied Jerusalem, will be demolished by the end of next month by the Israeli authorities.

The Israeli municipality plans to demolish 100 homes in the al-Bustan section of Silwan, which means displacing their 1550 Palestinian residents, more than 60 percent of them are children under the age of 18.

Abu Diab said in a telephone interview with WAFA that 98 homes received demolition orders, including 17 immediate demolitions by the end of next month, according to the Israeli Kaminitz Law.

He said staff from the West Jerusalem municipality distributed summons to homeowners in al-Bustan, to review municipal inspectors, claiming that the homeowners did not implement previous orders to self-demolish their homes after being notified in 2018.

The houses belong to the Abu Diab, Hamdan, Jalajel, Rajbi, Qwaidar, Badran, Odeh, Shafe’ Rajab, Abdel-Rahman, and Basheer families.

He said the occupation authorities have so far notified for the demolition of 98 homes in the al-Bustan neighborhood in Silwan in an attempt to demolish the entire neighborhood, which he stressed is part of the occupation’s racist measures and policy of ethnic cleansing, which contradict international law.

He called for a political, official, and international intervention to face the fierce Israeli occupation attack on the neighborhood.

T.R.

Related News