Important News
Home Archive 22/December/2017 07:02 PM

Israeli Forces clamp down on ‘Friday of Rage’ protesters, injuries reported


RAMALLAH, December 22, 2017 (WAFA) – Israeli forces violently suppressed Palestinians who took to the streets across various West Bank districts on the third ‘Friday of Rage’ to protest the US President Donald Trump‘s official recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Bullet wounds and scores of suffocation cases were reported.

Israeli soldiers used excessive force to disperse protesters who rallied in various locations in Heron district to protest against the US decision on Jerusalem. Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters and stun grenades at protesters, causing dozens to suffocate. All cases were treated at the scene. 

A youth was shot and injured in the foot with an explosive bullet during clashes that broke out in the town of Beit Ummar to the south of Hebron district.

Clashes were also witnessed near the main entrance of the town. Forces took over the rooftops of a number of homes, turing them into military outposts to fire at protesters.

A Palestine TV reporter, who was identified as ‘Azmi Banat, was shot and injured with a rubber-coated steel bullet while covering clashes that erupted at al-Arroub refugee camp, north of Hebron.

A youth was shot and injured in the thigh with live ammunition during clashes that erupted in the town of al-Khader to the south of Bethlehem. The youth, who remains unidentified, was transferred to hospital where his condition was described as moderate, according to medical sources at the Palestinian Red Crescent. 

In Salfit, in the northern West Bank, a youth was shot and injured in the shoulder with live ammunition and another was struck in the eye with shrapnel from a stun grenade fired at Palestinians, while dozens suffocated during clashes that broke out as Israeli forces clamped down on a similar rally protesting US decision on Jerusalem in the town of Iskaka.

The injured ones were transferred to hospital for medical treatment.

Medical sources reportedly dealt with at least seven rubber-coated steel bullet injury cases and dozens of suffocation cases during similar clashes in the Salfit town of Qarawat Bani Hassan.

In al-Bireh city in Ramallah, a large number of Palestinians, including a journalist, were treated for suffocation during a similar rally at the northern entrance of the city.

Forces prevented paramedics’ access to the clashes’ scene and physically assaulted a paramedic with the butts of their rifles. 

Israeli soldiers raided and took over a house belonging to one of the locals near the nearby Beit El settlement, illegally built on Palestinian land north of Ramallah, in an attempt to ambush and detain protesters. Youth who were seen nearby were met by a barrage of live ammunition, tear gas canisters, and stun grenades. A youth was reportedly detained.

Dozens of suffocation cases were also reported during similar clashes that erupted in the village of Bil’in to the west of Ramallah.

In the Nablus area, at least four Palestinians were shot and injured with rubber-coated steel bullets during clashes that erupted in the village of al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya to the south of the district, following a military raid into the town. A number of suffocation cases were reported. 

Forces also blocked the main entrance to the town with cement blocks and sand barriers.

Six Palestinians were shot and injured with rubber-coated steel bullets, and a youth was struck with an explosive ‘Tutu’ live bullet during similar clashes that broke out at Huwwara Israeli military checkpoint. Dozens of suffocation cases were also reported.

Ten others were reportedly shot and injured by rubber bullets used by the army against protesters at the entrance of the nearby town of Baita, south of Nablus.

According to medical sources, two youth were shot and injured with rubber bullets during clashes that occurred near the southern entrance of Qalqlia city in protest of US decision recognizing Jerusalem as capital of Israel. Dozens, including one severe case that necessitated transfer to hospital, suffocated due to tear gas fire.

According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), eight Palestinians were killed and 2900 others, including 345 minors, were injured between the period the period of 5th and 18th of December during clashes sparked by US decision on Jerusalem.



Related News

Read More