DUBLIN, October 23, 2017 (WAFA) – Ireland condemned last week Israel’s settlement expansion in the occupied Palestinian territories describing them as provocative.
“I condemn decisions this week by the Israeli authorities approving the construction of thousands of housing units in Israeli settlements in the West Bank,” said Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade Simon Coveney.
“This week‘s announcements include construction in areas such as Hebron, which are far from the 1967 border, and which could never be included in any possible agreed land swap between the parties. The relentless expansion of settlements, especially in such sensitive areas, break up the land area on which a Palestinian state is to be established.’
The Irish official said he was also “deeply concerned about announcements of construction in sensitive areas of East Jerusalem, and by the ongoing dispossession and eviction of Palestinian residents, to make way for illegal settlement activity.”
"Such unilateral and provocative actions undermine the credibility of the Israeli authorities‘ commitment to a peaceful, negotiated solution, something which is essential for Israel to secure its future, and for Palestinians to enjoy their full political rights,” he said.
"I call on Israel to reverse these decisions, which represent a serious threat to the two-state solution to which Ireland, the European Union and the international community are fully committed."