Home Archive 27/January/2016 06:43 PM

Israel’s Supreme Court Disregards Hunger-Striking Journalist‘s Critical Health Condition

RAMALLAH, January 27, 2016 (WAFA) – Israel’s Supreme Court Wednesday decided to postpone ruling in the appeal submitted to release hunger-striking journalist Muhammad al-Qiq and decide only after examining upcoming medical reports, said an attorney representing the Palestine Prisoner’s Society (PPS).

Jawad Boulus said the Israeli Supreme Court decided that al-Qiq will remain to be held under administrative detention despite being on brink of death. The court decided to review upcoming daily medical reports in order to reach a ruling.

The court took this decision following a hearing to review an appeal calling for the immediate release of al-Qiq as a result of his critical health condition.

Boulos said the court has reviewed what was labeled as secret evidence and decided it was enough to keep al-Qiq under administrative detention, which is imprisonment without charge or trial.

Boulos described the decision as appalling and provocative. “Practically, the decision is an attempt to force al-Qiq to end his hunger strike and a declaration it will not interfere until al-Qiq enters a coma.”

“Such options are random and are stripped of justice and fairness,” he added.

 Meanwhile, minister of detainees and ex-detainees committee Issa Qaraqe said the decision disregards the critical medical condition of al-Qiq. “Deciding to keep al-Qiq under administrative detention equals giving the green light to killing him.”

Qaraqe called on the international community to "https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif"pressure Israel in order to save al-Qiq’s life.

Al-Qiq, 33, a journalist, began an open-ended hunger strike on November 25, 2015, refusing to take nutrients and undergo medical checkups in protest of his ongoing administrative detention.

Upon his detention on November 21, al-Qiq was moved to al-Jalama detention and interrogation center. On December 20, he was placed under administrative detention for six months before being held under solitary confinement in al-Ramla detention center’s clinic.

On December 30, Israeli authorities approved al-Qiq’s administrative detention and following the deterioration of his health condition, he was moved to Afula hospital.

The Israeli military court of Ofer rejected an appeal to release al-Qiq on January 16, 2016, and ordered that he continues be placed under administrative detention regardless of his significant health deterioration.

Following a petition, Israeli Supreme Court scheduled a hearing on February 25 before rescheduling it to January 27 following a request submitted by PPS.

PPS highlighted that the health condition of al-Qiq has become critical as he continues to refuse to take any nutritional supplements and undergo medical checkups. He was placed into intensive care unit after he temporarily fell unconscious.

Bolous visited al-Qiq on January 21. He was reported as confirming that al-Qiq suffers from overall weakness, blurred vision and inability to move right hand.

Meanwhile, al-Qiq’s wife, Fayha Shalash called on supporters to organize rallies in support of her husband in order to push for his release.

She also called for the formation of an impartial non-Israeli medical committee to be tasked with examining al-Qiq.


Related News

Read More